We are experienced Solicitors and Registered Migration Agents with a proven track record. We offer personalised service with a reasonable fee structure.
Check out our latest client testimonials!
New 5 Year Temporary Residency Sponsored Parent Visa Announced
Within the 2017-18 Migration Programme year the DIBP have announced the introduction of a new 5 Year Temporary Residency Sponsored Parent Visa to facilitate parents of Australian Permanent Residents / Citizens to spend more time with their children.
Currently Parents can use the Parent Migration Program, Visitor Visa or Investor Retirement Visas to spend time with children.
This will open up a new pathway.
The application process will be entirely online - unlike the current Parent Visa Subclasses.
The Parents can be biological or adoptive and step-parents of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and eligible New Zealand Citizens children.
There is no Balance of Family Test that normally applies to other Parent Visas.
The Australian child must first become an approved Sponsor - this will be the first step and will be assessed separately from Visa Application.
The sponsor must:
- be a biological, adoptive, or a step-child of their parent
- provide valid evidence of their identity
- be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen (temporary residents cannot act as sponsors)
- be 18 years or older
- have lived in Australia for at least four years
- meet a household income requirement
- meet character requirements
- accept legal liability for any outstanding public health debt their sponsored parent accrues.
- agree to meet certain obligations in relation to the sponsored parent
The standard identity, health and character visa criteria should apply and the Parent must have no outstanding public health debt in Australia.
Private Health Insurance will also be required to cover the duration of stay. No announcement has been made whether Medicare eligible Parents under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreements will also require Private Health Insurance.
The visa application charge for:
- a five (5) year visa will be AUD$10,000
- a three (3) year visa will be AUD$5,000.
There will be no financial bond for this visa.
Once granted, the visa will be valid for either three (3) or five (5) years.
A sponsored Parent can apply for, and be granted, this visa more than once but the maximum stay is 10 years in total.
There are no English language requirements.
There are no Work Rights. Family childcare or incidental, unpaid volunteer activities will be permitted, as will short term, informal study.
Further information will be published when it becomes available.