Got questions ?    Click Here    to submit an enquiry    or   call us on    (03) 9484 1566
Got questions ?    Submit Enquiry    Or Call    (03) 9484 1566
Neo Phoenix Pty Ltd
Lawyers & Registered Migration Agents

We are experienced Solicitors and Registered Migration Agents with a proven track record. We offer personalised service with a reasonable fee structure.

Check out our latest client testimonials!

Working whilst studying in Australia

Working Whilst Studying

It is possible for student visa holders (and their family members in Australia) to legally work in Australia for the duration of their stay. However, student visa holders must not rely on this work as a source of funding for their living and education expenses. Remember that to have been granted a student visa, one must already have satisfied DIMIA that they can fulfil the applicable financial requirements for their student visa.

All initial student visas are granted with the condition 8101, which states that the visa holder is not to engage in paid Work.

If your course requires a form of practical work then this may be allowed under condition 8101:

Course practical work

You may undertake a work placement as part of your course requirements as long as it is a registered part of your course. Your education provider will know if the work is a registered component of the course.

You and your family members can apply for permission to work only after you have commenced your studies in Australia.

Permission to Work

People granted student visas on or after 26 April 2008 will receive permission to work with their visa grant. This will apply to both the primary student and any family members travelling with them on their student visa. As a result, most student visa holders will no longer need to apply separately in Australia for permission to work. The new arrangement will save student visa holders time and money.

The student will have attached condition 8105, allowing a maximum of 20 hours work per week during the term, not including work that is a formal registered part of your course, and unlimited hours work during recognised periods of vacation.

A member of the student's family will have attached condition 8104, for permission to work a maximum of 20 hours a week throughout the year for the duration of your visa.

Volunteer /unpaid work

If you volunteer or take part in unpaid work, then you must apply for permission to work. Any volunteer or unpaid work counts towards the limit of 20 hours per week.

Tax file number

You need to obtain a Tax File Number (TFN) to work in Australia.

We can advise you of the process of obtaining permission to work and an Australian Tax File Number as part of our student visa advice service.