Got questions ?    Click Here    to submit an enquiry    or   call us on    (03) 9900 6253
Got questions ?    Submit Enquiry    Or Call    (03) 9900 6253
Neo Phoenix Pty Ltd
Lawyers & Registered Migration Agents

We are experienced Solicitors and Registered Migration Agents with a proven track record. We offer personalised service with a reasonable fee structure.

Check out our latest client testimonials!

Student Accommodation

Student Accommodation and Living Costs

International students have many accommodation alternatives in Australia.

ON or Near Campus Living

University Halls of Residence & Residential Colleges

Only accept students who are attending the university on a full-time basis.
Limited Places
Top-of-the range Facilities
Can provide all round services including all meals, cleaning tutoring, social organisations, sporting facilities and more
Good Value
Save transport costs

Off Campus Living

Involves living with an Australian family. The cost generally includes two meals (breakfast and dinner) during the week and three meals on weekends. Rooms may be single or shared and cost will vary accordingly. Full Board and Meals is a variation of Home-stay.

Private or Church Owned Boarding Hostels
Generally cheaper than on campus living, Hostels are available for both tertiary and non-tertiary students. Facilities commonly include kitchen and communal bathroom. Most hostels provide meals as well as laundry and recreational facilities. Some have twin share or single rooms and rental may be by the week or daily.

Share Accommodation
Many international students choose to share a house, apartment or flat with others who have already entered into a lease agreement with the landlord. Students are expected to provide some furniture and typically bills will be evenly paid for.

Rental Accommodation
As per share accommodation however in these circumstances an International student will enter into a lease as a tenant themselves. Real Estate agents advertise rental accommodation in newspapers and the internet. Landlords usually require one month's rent in advance and a security bond equal to one month's rent which is usually held until the tenant leaves to cover any damage to the rental property. Contracts can be signed only by students over the age of 18 years. Houses, apartments and flats are usually unfurnished.

Homestay (living with an Australian family) AU$180-250 per week
Full Board and meals AU$180-250 per week
University residential colleges AU$180-280 per week
University halls of residence AU$100-160 per week
Private or church-owned boarding hostels AU$90-130 per week
Share accommodation AU$90-130 per week
Rental accommodation From AU$150 per person per week

NOTE These are approximate costs and are a general guide only. Costs can vary greatly according to location.

Living Costs

Australia's cost of living is lower than that of Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, the United States and the United Kingdom.

The average international student in Australia spends about AU$300 per week on food, accommodation, clothing, local transport, telephone, gas/electricity, stationery, and entertainment, although this varies significantly by location and lifestyle.

Use the Ozforex currency converter to get an idea of the cost of everyday living in your country's currency.

For a handy cost-of-living calculator site, including information on mortgage, moving, investment calculators and more, go to

Visa Assessment

Related Client Testimonials:

We can't find any words to describe our grateful feelings. We were very nervous about applying for another Student Visa and meeting the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE). We received outstanding professional work and we always have excellent communication even during the weekends. Andre is a very ...

Student Visa Renewal